An outbuilding is a structure on your property away from your home. There are various examples of this. On a rural property, a barn is an example. Sheds, garages away from the home, and other types of structures fitimage of barn and other outbuildings in Iowa this term. Proper home insurance for these structures is necessary.

Both property protection and liability coverage are necessary in most situations. Keeping these structures safe can minimize costs. Here’s how to do this.

First, Make Sure They Are on Your Home Insurance Policy

Any building not connected to your home does not automatically have coverage. Still, most policies will offer the opportunity to add it. Your policy should name the outbuilding on it specifically. This does not necessarily raise the cost of the policy. However, it ensures your property has coverage should an event occur. The structure should have liability insurance and property insurance. This includes:

  • Coverage to rebuild the building if it is a total loss, such as after a fire.
  • Enough coverage to protect all of the contents of that building.
  • Protection against liability risks, such as someone falling within the structure.

Work with your agent at 515-964-2927 to name these buildings on your policy. This is just a first step in keeping them safe, though.

Add Security to Them

Any outbuilding can be a risk factor. It is away from the home. Some people store very valuable items within them. Even if it is just yard equipment, these items have value.

Outbuildings can be easier to break into as well. For this reason, it is important to have proper security. Here are some tips:

  • Keep them well lit. Light deters would-be thieves from entering the property. Placing a few lights around the building is all it takes.
  • Add a smart home video camera to these buildings. Connect it to your home’s system. This gives you on-the-go coverage for your building.
  • Be sure to add ample locks to these structures. Be sure they have a weather tight door and locked windows.

Outbuildings with animals in them, or those with tractors or vehicles, may need additional coverage. It is important to take steps to protect these valuables. However, your typical home insurance policy may not offer enough financial protection. In this case, a rider may be necessary.

Your home insurance agent at 515-964-2927 can help you modify your policy to reflect any outbuildings on your property. Be sure to let your agent know if you add or remove these buildings from your property as well.

Posted 9:53 AM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018

View Mobile Version